Does this Sound like You?

Are you stuck in a workout rut? Having a hard time breaking free to hit the gym? I am ready to help change your life!
I will come to your home when it works for you! I will teach you WORKOUTS THAT WORK so you can meet achievable, life changing goals we establish together. My goal isn't to make you reliant on a personal trainer for the rest of your life. My goal is to show you how to make several small changes in how you move, eat and think which will make huge changes in how you live for the rest of your life!

Monday, March 4, 2013

Mobility First!

Eat Better:
The New York Times recently published an article by Mark Bittman that's well worth a few minutes of your time to read. It's titled "It's in the Sugar, Folks" and it highlights just how toxic sugar is to our bodies. "The take-away: it isn’t simply overeating that can make you sick; it’s overeating sugar. We finally have the proof we need for a verdict: sugar is toxic."

Here's the article in full: It's in the Sugar, Folks

Move Better:
K-Star is a no nonsense guy who gets right to the point: "Don't wait until you need a new knee. Pony up." His daily videos and blog entries show ways to address mobility issues from joint soreness to breaking down tissue. You can use the search engine to look up muscle groups or body parts that may be causing you issues, or just scroll to see his latest ideas. I've tried several of his MWOD's (mobility workout of the day) and found them all very challenging and beneficial!

Here's the blog: MWOD

Amy's Corner:
I hired a strength & conditioning coach for two purposes: 1) to improve my form and performance and 2) to improve my mobility. What I'm quickly learning is that my mobility is what decides if my form and performance improve. I have gotten away with short warm-ups, quick cool downs and "I'll stretch when I have time today" for much too long...and my lack of range of motion is evidence. Aches and pains in my neck, upper back, low back , shoulders, knees and hamstrings have been things I've just gotten used to. But as I've worked with my coach, for only a week, I'm learning that shouldn't be the case at all! With a long warm-up that incorporates dynamic movements and stretches and exercises that specifically target my weaknesses those aches and pains aren't there!

Functional exercise is something I will preach all day long. Exercise should mimic your every day life. But what good is functional exercise if you can't function because you're too sore and too limited by lack of range of motion? Mobility has to be of utmost importance. (I'm saying this to myself right now just as much as I'm saying it to you!) Warm-up, cool down, rolling out on a foam roller or PVC pipe and stretching are first and foremost in improving your form, performance and function in every day life. So...DO THEM! :)

Upcoming Events:

Workouts that Work with Amy
*APRIL FACEBOOK CHALLENGE: MINIMAL EQUIPMENT WORKOUTS PLUS DAILY MEAL PLANS/GUIDELINES! You'll be part of a private Facebook group and receive daily workouts and meals/recipes plus ongoing support and accountability from the group. Almost 20 people are participating this March and are experiencing AMAZING results! Equipment will be minimal and inexpensive. Modifications/demonstrations are provided for every exercise. To sign up just email me at AmyDrefke@gmail.com. Inches and weight measurements will be used to determine the winner each month...the winner receives a free one-on-one personal training session with me! A $60 value! Cost: $99 for your first month then only $75/month or $150/3 months thereafter!

*Grocery Tours with Amy! Need help making the best choices for you and your family and understanding WHY those choices make the most sense? I give tours at the Ankeny Hy-Vee on Wednesday evenings 8-9 pm or by appointment. Just email me to set up time! AmyDrefke@gmail.com Tours are $30/person.



*SPRING BOOT CAMP WITH AMY!: A group fitness class in an outdoor, encouraging non-intimidating environment! Fat blasting, full body workouts with body weight and minimal equipment while you get to know others! Kids are free to play on the playground while we workout but no supervision is provided.

When: Choose 1, 2, 3 or all 6 weeks!
March 18 - 21
March 25-28
April 1 – 4
April 8 – 11
April 15 – 18
April 22 – 25

*Classes are Monday – Thursday, 6:30 – 7:15 pm

The more you attend, the less you spend per class!
1 week $60
2 weeks $115
3 weeks $150 – Only $12.50/class
6 weeks $250 – Only $10/class

Where: Georgetown Park in Ankeny on the corner of Ash St. and Georgetown Blvd.

How: Email Amy Drefke, at AmyDrefke@gmail.com to reserve your spot today! Please indicate the week(s) you’ll be attending. Thank you!


Community

The Crossfit Games are coming! Check out the details and ANYONE can jump in and participate in the Open workouts starting in March!

http://games.crossfit.com/article/welcome-2013-season



http://www.glowrun5k.com/dm.html

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment