"Stress that's left unchecked can contribute to health problems such as high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity and diabetes." (2010 Stress in America report. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/stress/national-report.pdf. Accessed Dec. 7, 2010.)
Do you experience any of these effects?
|Common effects of stress ...|
|... On your body||... On your mood||... On your behavior|
So...what can you do?
1. Breathe - Find a quiet place. Sit. Be still. Breathe. Be alone. Inhale through your nose for a count of 5 (count in your head, it'll eliminate the "noise" going on in your brain) and fully exhale slowly. Continue in for 5 and out. Focus on your stomach and chest as they move in and out.Try for 5 minutes and expand your time as you are able.
2. Journal -write down your thoughts or draw for a few minutes each day
3. Rely on others - call a friend
4. Take a warm bath
5. Meditate or pray - there are CD's available that will guide you through the process!
6. Tak a walk - really try and pay attention to what you see, feel, smell and hear. Be aware of your surroundings.
7. Get a massage
8. Take a yoga class
10. Listen to music, whatever helps you relax
Leave a comment if you have other great ways for reducing stress!