Does this Sound like You?

Are you stuck in a workout rut? Having a hard time breaking free to hit the gym? I am ready to help change your life!
I will come to your home when it works for you! I will teach you WORKOUTS THAT WORK so you can meet achievable, life changing goals we establish together. My goal isn't to make you reliant on a personal trainer for the rest of your life. My goal is to show you how to make several small changes in how you move, eat and think which will make huge changes in how you live for the rest of your life!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Trainer Talk Tuesday

I'm surprised looking back at my numerous blog entries the topic I seem most passionate about hasn't really appeared. To give you an idea of how passionate I am about the importance of childhood nutrition and fitness I recently spoke to my daughter's Kindergarten class about "sometimes" and "always" activities and food choices. I also respectfully declined to attend a family school wide event that's reoccuring at a local fast food restaurant where the class with the highest attendance receives a pizza party. Not only did I decline but I made known my concerns and offered suggestions for rewards that were not food related for attending a fast food restaurant.


There's an attitude that I often see parents, teachers and care givers display. It's one of "They are kids! Let them be kids and eat that stuff now while the can!" It's almost as if we have dismissed solid nutrition entirely in childhood and are looking at it as more of a punishment for adults.


You can't deny the truth though when you go to a playground, a school, a dance class or anywhere large amounts of kids are found...many are overweight. Over the past three decades, the childhood obesity rate has more than doubled for preschool children aged 2-5 years and adolescents aged 12-19 years, and it has more than tripled for children aged 6-11 years. At present, approximately nine million children over 6 years of age are considered obese.




It starts with adults. Whether you are a parent or not any contact you have with a child is a chance to model healthy lifestyle choices, whether it be not smoking, exercising, eating fruits and vegetables, choosing to cook your meals rather than go out to eat. Children are more likely to do as we do and not as we say. Don't believe me, ask a 2 year old to do something for you while they are busy playing. But...sit down next to them and start doing a puzzle and they'll quickly abandon what they were busy playing with and sit down with you to help finish the puzzle.


Make it start with YOU! Here's a GREAT resource if you are unsure about how to make healthy changes for your children, family or even yourself. Small changes make a big difference...start today!
www.letsmove.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment