Does this Sound like You?

Are you stuck in a workout rut? Having a hard time breaking free to hit the gym? I am ready to help change your life!
I will come to your home when it works for you! I will teach you WORKOUTS THAT WORK so you can meet achievable, life changing goals we establish together. My goal isn't to make you reliant on a personal trainer for the rest of your life. My goal is to show you how to make several small changes in how you move, eat and think which will make huge changes in how you live for the rest of your life!

Monday, July 8, 2013

My Motivation

Eat Better:
Summer is a great time for entertaining and being outdoors. If you struggle with healthy food options to set out for your guests that everyone will enjoy, here's a fun one!
Chicken Bruschetta
 
 
 
 
 

Move Better:
Harvard Health has released a study proving that regular exercise permanently decreases depression and anxiety.
Regular aerobic exercise can bring remarkable changes not just to your body, your metabolism, and your heart, but also to your spirits, reports the February 2011 issue of Harvard Men’s Health Watch.
Aerobic exercise is the key for your head, just as it is for your heart. It has a unique capacity to exhilarate and relax, to provide stimulation and calm, to counter depression and dissipate stress. Endurance athletes commonly experience the restorative power of exercise, and this has been verified in clinical trials that have used exercise to treat anxiety and depression.
How can exercise contend with problems as difficult as anxiety and depression? There are several explanations, some chemical, others behavioral. The mental benefits of aerobic exercise have a neurochemical basis. Exercise reduces levels of the body’s stress hormones, such as adrenaline and cortisol. It also stimulates the production of endorphins, the body’s natural painkillers and mood elevators.

Read here for the full article: http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/benefits-of-exercisereduces-stress-anxiety-and-helps-fight-depression

Amy's Corner:
Like many obese people my initial motivating factor to exercise and eat better was to look better. I wasn't happy with what I saw in the mirror and I was tired of finding clothes that were "flattering" and not just what I wanted to wear. I didn't like my workouts, I missed my pizza and beer and I was sore...all the time. But I started to see results...and those results became my new motivation. I began to feel stronger and more self confident which began to effect every aspect of my life...not just my clothing choices :) I wanted to continue feeling more confident so I kept working out and making good food choices. I signed up for a marathon, was hired before I graduated college and was engaged...and I know without turning my life in a healthy direction those things wouldn't have happened.

However, as I neared my goals my body was making less noticeable changes and my motivation began to shift from one of loving results to being fearful of going backwards. I felt and looked fit, but inside I was terrified of being fat again. Workouts started to be a necessary chore, food was almost a punishment and the joy and confidence I felt were no longer there. I think a lot of people who make big changes in their body composition go through this phase. Thankfully I wasn't there for long.

I found an outlet for my new fit body and it was Crossfit. My new motivation: what can my body do today that it couldn't do yesterday? The feeling I get when I push myself to do things I know my obese self would've NEVER dreamed of doing is beyond rewarding! The first time I made it up a rope climb I cried. I wanted to email my elementary school gym teacher and tell him the fat kid who hung at the bottom did it! The first time I did an unassisted pull up I felt like a total bad ass and did so many after that I could hardly raise my arms the next 3 days! Some people say it's an obsession...I say it's discipline and dedication to a sport that's made exercise and eating healthy a lifestyle and made it joyful again.

This isn't a Crossfit commercial...this is me motivating you at whatever phase you're in to find a form of exercise where you make it a lifestyle because you LOVE the way it makes you feel. There are SO many options out there! And if you don't know where to start, that's why I'm here. Hit me up...let's talk! :)


Upcoming Events:
Workouts that Work with Amy
*OUTDOOR FITNESS OPTIONS!
1. Join me and a small group of hard working, fun people at Georgetown Park in Ankeny from 6:15-7 am Monday - Wednesday. Class runs July 8 - August 30. 1 day week/$120, 2 days week/$192 and 3 days week/$240. All you need to bring is a mat or towel, water and a "can do" attitude! All fitness levels welcome. It's filling quickly! Sign up today by emailing me at: AmyDrefke@gmail.com
2. Get together a group of friends, find a park and a common time/day(s) and I will lead a boot camp for you! The more people you gather the less it will cost. The class will be geared to what you all want and your goals. I have a few going on in various towns right now and they are a blast! Email me if interested! AmyDrefke@gmail.com
*ONLINE FITNESS OPTION!
JULY FACEBOOK CHALLENGE
You'll be part of a private Facebook group and receive daily workouts and nutrition tips plus ongoing support and accountability from the group. Almost 20 people are participating this June and are experiencing AMAZING results! Equipment will be minimal and inexpensive. Modifications/demonstrations are provided for every exercise. 

To sign up just email me at AmyDrefke@gmail.com. Cost: $99 for your first month then only $75/month or $150/3 months thereafter!

Community
Here's a list of some great fitness events from mud runs to triathlons to keep you motivated this summer! http://www.fitnesssports.com/races.july.html

No comments:

Post a Comment